Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Fromage Blanc

fromage blanc
As part of our research for The Summer of a Thousand Cheeses we made fromage blanc. Once we had finished, we didn't have a good idea of what to do with the cheese. The recipes we found were mostly for spreads and dips, and we felt that consuming more than a pound of snack food might be excessive. As we reported in the book, we got creative and used part of our supply as a filling for enchiladas. Against all reasonable expectations, we found our enchiladas to be quite good.

Now we have more fromage blanc, having made another batch as part of the course we are teaching at Santa Fe college. The students got to sample the unflavored product and a spread we made up from a recipe in Ricki's book. Still we find ourselves with more leftover cheese, a pound more or less. How better to use it than another try at enchiladas? We are attaching the recipe we used last time and are encouraging others to try it and build on it. This may not prove to be a new American classic, but may appeal to others like us, who view the kitchen as a kind of laboratory.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad I found your awesome blog!

    I made Fromage Blanc for the first time this month. I, too, wasn't sure what to do with all of it. I love the idea of using it in enchiladas. I tried to access your recipe, but Google Docs tells me I don't have permission to access this item.

    If you'd like to read more about my adventures with Fromage Blanc, here's a link to my blog post about it.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete